Harrison's of Edinburgh
Harrisons of Edinburgh was founded in 1863 by Sir George Harrison who began his career as an apprentice with an Edinburgh tailor. Harrisons established itself as specialists in Pure Cashmere suitings, jacketings and coatings. In addition, and to compliment the collection, they also became known for business and less formal suitings in Super 100's, 120's, 150's & 180's in Merino Wool.
All of the Harrisons Cashmere and suiting fabrics are woven within the United Kingdom, both in Scotland and in Huddersfield, England. Harrisons are well known for their fine Scottish Tweed collections under the name Porter & Harding, a collection of bunches ranging from 12ozs up to 18ozs, which can cater for many occasions including outdoor pursuits.
John Porter & Bill Harding founded Porter & Harding in 1947 and, shortly afterwards, became partners with Harrisons, eventually relinquishing control after Bill Harding's son Keith retired.
This was to be an important moment in the company's history, acquiring other Woollen Merchants was something the company identified as a means of expanding the business, especially for the overseas markets.
It wasn't until 2010 that the company acquired their next Woollen Merchant, H. Lesser & Sons. Renowned for servicing the tailors of the West End and the City of London, H. Lesser gained a fabulous reputation amongst the very best tailors, not only within the UK, but also the rest of the world.
More recently Harrisons have acquired Smith Woollens & Co, and W.Bill which promises to be another exciting new chapter in the company's history.See more about the mill here.